Friday, July 13, 2012

The Grass Isn't Greener

...on the other side, it is just a different shade!

A couple weekends ago we had the wonderful opportunity to go to Grandma and Papa Ks house for some fun family time. It is always so surreal visiting my parents. It always feels like home, even though they no longer live in the home I grew up in, and I love how much fun the boys have in the simplicity of small town life.



I am also reminded that the great thing about small towns is that everyone knows each other and the thing that always hits my nerve is that everyone knows each other and everyone's business. However, as a mother the small town life intrigues, if even for a minute, as it is so great to see the boys running around the yard carefree, VW experiencing his first golf outing at the local course, leaving your keys in the car and the door to the house unlocked, and running a quick errand downtown and charging it to your account.

Then I wonder, is it really the small town life or the innocence of childhood that I have the time to experience becuase I've taken the time to slow down that I truly experience when I am not at home surrounded in my 'tasks' of the weekend.



Either way, as I pause and think about the wonderful time we had relaxing with family, enjoying the quiet time of small town life, and experiencing the stories and witnessing the drama that...

And just like the conversation of Papa and VW:

"Papa, you should turn on your sprinklers!"

"I don't have sprinklers."

"You should, your grass would be green then!!"


that life is really what you make of it! And for this momma, I am blessed with the perfect color of watered green grass!

2 comments:

Anneke said...

Very sweet post. A good thing to remember. And the boys are growing up SO fast!!!

Leese said...

Oh...small town life....I feel the exact same way! I loved it growing up, I didn't as an adult, but I do again as a mother.